Just minding my own beeswax - chatting cooking, kids, knitting, travel, and life in general


Tuesday, February 28, 2006

i didn't podium

The Knitting Olympics have come to an end .... and I didn't quite finish. Part of my goal was to not procrastinate, and on that level I did pretty well. I did get one legwarmer done and most of the poncho though had to change patterns. I'll post pics tomorrow, no proscrastinating, just can't find the camera.....

Here's some of the excuses: messed up on the pattern, didn't have a snowstorm to keep me in, the yarn was harder to work with, blah blah blah. Here's the reason: I bit off more than I could chew in the short amount of time I had to knit. I was feeling a bit disappointed, but when I stopped by yarnharlot.com -- Stephanie Pearl-McPhee made me feel a-ok about it. It is so true what poeple say about Canadians being so darn nice! Here's what she has to say about those of us who kind of 'Bode-d' :
"Finally, for my chosen knitters, those who did not finish...

My deepest thanks and greatest satisfaction in the knitting olympics comes from you. Without trying there is no improvement or learning, without difficulty there is no striving. It was the sheer volume of knitters that gave this the incredible momentum, velocity and significance it has had for all knitters (and quite a few non-knitters who really were stunned.) More than anything else this ended up being about an international community of knitters...and there are no losers at the Olympics. Even if you dropped the pattern in a puddle the first day...even if you grossly overestimated your available time, or if you got to rock a baby instead of knit...you still made the Olympics memorable. It takes a village to freak out non-knitters...and there is strength in numbers."

It's very true -- and thanks again to Stephanie for bringing together this international community.

No comments:

Post a Comment